Note to Self...

Another quick poker note. One of the purposes of this blog, that I sometimes forget is to track my mistakes, not just to get abuse from my entire reading audience (my mom and dad) but also to pound them into my head so I won't do it again. Sometimes I forget the obviousness of 1-2. There is no subtlety there. Matt Byrant hits on that a bit on his blog Pobody's Nerfect (I believe that was the slogan of a failed Nerf Golf game) which is a good read and like the Honest Player's blog will be linked on GCP imminently. Anyway, one mistake in my session yesterday was not betting my hand.

I get a little out of line with 5h3h. I raise it from middle position. I have a chip stack and depending on the action of the others it's a hand I'm going in with the intention of bluffing... or hitting and blindsiding somebody. Of course board texture will determine bluffing. I get a couple of callers and a min-re-raise. Guy calls the new total (24 maybe? I was leading out 12 a lot but could have been 10 and therefore 20). I join the fray because I've priced myself in with a bad hand but a possibility to crack a monster. Trouble is or, maybe, good thing is with most players the min-re-raise would mean AA or KK but this guy was doing this a lot with less.

I determine I'm priced in. Flop is 64K with one heart. Might get a hand here. $25 bet by the re-raiser follows my check. Next guy to act calls. Great... Priced in. Turn is J.

I check and the evildoer makes it $50. Next guy calls. There are both deep stacked. There is obviously some implied odds here to go with what I think is a decent price considering the pot size I think I'm somewhere between 5 and 6 to 1 on my money. Not only that I think I'm almost 20% to catch. I call.

I'm distracted by seeing one of my friends Alex T. walking out and I had wanted to say one more thing to him. He cashed out a big day after the tourney too. The river is the 7. I look back not expecting my card to hit and it had hit. I was hoping the re-raiser legitimately had a big hand like KK or so. Mr. Huge set could bet and I could felt him for another 3 to 4 hundred. Still I should have put some sort of value bet out there or an overbet bluff type bet (which I had earlier fell for). Instead I check.

Simply terrible. Bad Bill! Bad Bill! Do not check the nuts on the river in 1-2. Bet, they'll call. Bet, bet, bet. Sure enough, they've swallowed their balls back into their stomachs. Both have KJ for two pair and check it out. The re-raiser in incredulous that I call his $50 bet with my low straight draw when I show the winner. I told him to be thankful I didn't take another couple $100 off him by missing a bet. He still griped about it. I let you off easy buddy. I think, the only bad play I made was not reaping the implied odds that make the chase worth chasing. When you hit there you have to get paid OR you shouldn't chase. I'm breaking even making a 5 to 1 return on my money long run, not winning money.

So, note to self. Bet the nuts.

www.gulfcoastpoker.net


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crapped on the Head and Kicked in the teeth part 2

Corona Virus Tips

Thank You!