Played Some Rush Poker part ii

More thoughts from my rush online poker experience. I shouldn't say thoughts as I'm basically just asking questions into the wind. Maybe, I will ask Reid or Kai to comment on their best ideas on how to play these tournaments from a math perspective or some of the other current and former GCPers who play poker tournaments to gettheir perspective.

Another question is by quick folding and being super selective are you just racing through the blinds to your own detriment?

One thing I appreciate was I was able to quickly discern some possible leaks in my game. I don’t know if I was adapting to the format or just playing bad in spots. With a ton of hands I got to see a variety of hands including big boys far more often than I would in a standard tournament. I was looking to double every time I got them in the rebuy period. I kind of mangled Aces a little bit.

In early position I put a 2.5x raise out and saw four callers come with me to the flop. Maybe I should have bet sized a little bigger in the rebuy period for hope that another big hand might try and isolate me.

The flop came three to a straight two of a suit. I saw a raise and a reraise before it got to me. I pitched it and watched the hand after me fire in another raise. Three of them got it all in and one had two pair, one top pair and the other on a flush draw. The flush didn’t hit but running 66 put a second pair on the board and gave top pair the hand. Had I played my aces also would have improved to two pair and I would have taken it all.

I don’t mind the way I played post flop as I feel I was lucky to be less behind than I was. But preflop perchance a bigger raise would have thinned the field and maybe me and the flush draw would have gone to the flop together and I would have doubled up.

Something else I noticed was a willingness to pitch to c-bets when I missed the flop too readily. Not sure if that was because I knew the next hand was a click away, and the one after that another click or not. It is a lot easier to get away from hands when you they are coming fast and furious. Playing multiple rush tournaments at once makes it even easier. Lol.

Part of me thinks I played without the requisite amount of patience but I think that was a function of the moment than of me as a player. I tried out the Rush tournaments thinking not only the action would be fast but so would the eliminations. Not quite in retrospect. It was still going to be a long affair the deeper I got so I… rushed things a bit when I didn’t need to.

I think I will definitely play some more Rush tournaments as they were fun and kind of streamlined the game of poker a little bit. I think it exposes your mistakes all the more quickly so there is a lot of value in that as a tool. There were some other tidbits I took from the experience that I will keep to myself (don’t want you sharks to eat me for lunch in these low limit MTTs… lol).

I’m trying to figure out some time to put in some long sessions online which I used to do more often but with the wife home and the baby becoming a kid and into everything I’m more than rushed for time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great blog about RUSH. I too play at FT and tried out rush for the first time Saturday night. Very odd at first, $10 BI and about 1300+ people.... I thought oh hell what have I got myself into, this is gonna run for 8-10 hours to the final table (if I were to get lucky [which I am *not* normally a positive ROI player :-])
But I was so so wrong, 6-8 beers later I glare over at the field size and it was down to about 200 or so... and I turned it on. I finished 6th for $600. I, too- like you- think there are some cool exploitable things there with RUSH which actually makes it easier! I must admitt I think there are a lot to be said about the quick fold and getting more hands... I used that to my advantage by NOT using quick fold... stalled quiet abit and when I did hit- I raked in big pots.
I think I left out that the tourney only lasted 4.5 hours, which was blazin speeds compared to non-rush.
Excited to play again- I looked over the Rush tourneys and noticed they only play them like every three hours or so- ugh!
Well- I've babbled too much.
Great blog, I've been reading yours for a long time and never commented before!
Hey; While I've got your attention- do you have any suggestions for a poker coach? I'd love to see you blog about that, maybe drop some names ... etc. It's not like I have a ton of cash to invest into one, but it just occured to me that Ive played 5-7 years, only tourney's and my ROI seriously is break even. Im missing something huge with my game, I just need someone to look at my hand historys etc and say "OH- there it is right there, you suck at xyz..."
I've played live and online, fair well with most- I just need an edge. Thanks!
Oh yea, please dont name drop Brandon Jarrett for a coach... cause I'd like someone to talk about ME if Im paying them lol... and he'd just wanna talk about HIM lol!

Later!

Popular posts from this blog

Crapped on the Head and Kicked in the teeth part 2

Corona Virus Tips

Thank You!